Tuesday, June 21, 2005

No, you may not leave.

OK, so I have a job I hate. Well, hate is a strong word. I have a job I am not happy doing. It’s not so much the job per say, more like the company I work for. They suck. In fact they suck so bad that all the good folks are leaving…quickly. We need new employees, but when we get a good hire, they up and get a new job in a few weeks for an employer that pays more, has better benefits, and doesn’t treat their employees like commodities. I could get a new job, but I’m waiting for the “right job”. Unfortunately the IT industry in Washington State is just now recovering from the DOT Bomb, and there are a lot of folks looking for the “right job”. So I hag on, suffering quietly, collecting my pay check, while all the good folks are leaving.

I submitted a resume to Monolith for a job I’m qualified for. Of course a week after pressing send, Monolith lays off 80 people. Not a good sign. Not that just submitting resumes was going to get me very far any way.

“It’s Who You Know.”

I’ve never gotten a job by submitting a resume. I’ve always been referred to the hiring manager by someone I know. That’s the way it works for most job seekers, or so I’m told. So I keep my irons in the fire, and maintain the limited contact with the guys I know in the Biz. Hopefully it’ll swing my way and the “Right Job” will come around.
Until then, I have a hearty seeya! To the guys that made it out.

No comments: